The Trustee Board is there to support volunteer line managers, so that they can do their role of supporting leadership teams to provide a great programme for young people.
There are nine key areas that a Trustee Board is responsible for supporting local Scouting with:
1. Following the Rules of the organisation
2. Insuring people, property and equipment
3. Managing the money
4. Fundraising, recruitment and any other support needed, so that Scouting can operate
5. Providing Scouting safely
6. Connecting Scouting with the local community and supporting it to grow
7. Involving young people in decision making
8. Meeting the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR) requirements for local Scouts
9. Making decisions about opening, closing and merging of Districts, Groups, Sections, Explorer Units, Network and Scout Active Support sections at the appropriate Executive level
together with a number of other members,
The Group Scout Leader is also an ex officio member of the committee and maybe joined by other leaders.
The Trustee board meet on a regular basis when a full agenda is discussed to promote all of the afore mentioned governance of the group.
Becoming a trustee
If you’re joining as a Scouts volunteer for the first time, your local team will help you complete the following steps:
- Get your role created on Compass (the membership database),
- Complete your Disclosure (DBS in England /PVG in Scotland/Access NI in Northern Ireland),
- Sign the trustee declaration
- Support you with your learning for the role
When you become a Trustee you are signing up to the responsibilities of a charity trustee. There are a number of reasons why a person may not legally be allowed to be a trustee and by signing the declaration, you are agreeing that none of these reasons apply to you and that you are wiling to act as a trustee.
Depending on how your details are added to the membership system, the declaration is on the appointment form that you will be asked to complete, or it can be viewed electronically when a member of the local team adds your details to the system.